I've neglected to post...AGAIN! Well, here I am to give you a quick rundown update of the past few days.
Tuesday: I planned to spend this day packing and getting things ready for my trip to Dallas for the MOPS Convention. Grandpa had other "plans" for me. He woke up and couldn't get out of bed. He was terribly weak. After further observation, we decided that an ER visit was warranted. So, off he went in an ambulance while I scrambled to find childcare for my boys. While I ought to have been packing, I sat in a hard chair at the bedside of Gramps in the ER struggling through my sudoku puzzles. Perhaps we can schedule subsequent illnesses at more convenient times, huh Gramps? Anyway, long story short-ish, the Dr. found pneumonia in his left lung and was concerned by the extreme weakness and so transferred him to a Skilled Nursing facility to recuperate and be observed until he is stronger. Tuesday night, Bill and I went on a "date" to Baja Fresh between hospital and said nursing facility. Then threw some articles of clothing into suitcases to prepare for our early departure.
Wednesday: 6 am departure from home with 3 small carry-ons, coffee, granola bars, and two very tired boys in tow. Fly from Orange County to Chicago where we consumed the most ridiculously overpriced lunch (1 mini pizza, 1 small veggie sandwich, 1 soda to share total $22.93!) before boarding the next flight to Indianapolis. Wednesday evening: arrive at Mom and Dad's, consume exorbitant amount of Ethiopian food for dinner, sleep tight and prepare for another departure.
Thursday: 5:45 am shower to make it to Mom's breakfast Bible study group. So much fun! Spent the morning at the Children's Museum with the family. After lunch Dad took me to the airport again for 2 more flights. 1)Indy - Chicago 2) Chicago - Dallas Fort Worth. Arrive to be told that our room with 2 queen beds had been given away. 4 of us would have to share a room with one king. Oh, and they were out of roll aways and pillows. It all worked out. We only had to have 3 in there and Sarah suffered the chair/ottoman squished together to create a "bed". What a trooper!
Friday: Amazing day at the Gaylord Texan Resort at the MOPS convention. Yes, I did go to a place called Gaylord. It is beautiful, but the convention itself was what made it incredible!
Saturday: More amazing times at MOPS convention in the morning. Caught the 3:30 shuttle to airport to fly to Chicago then Indy to pick up the boys on the way home. Arrived in Indy at midnight, crawled into bed at 1am for a whopping 3 hours of sleep.
Sunday: 4 am wake up call. Tried to consume enough caffeine to blot out the fuzziness and said millionth prayer for patience with two tired boys on two long flights ahead of me. I don't know how patient I was, but the boys were champs and we made it into Orange County at 9am. Since we were already in OC, we stopped by Disneyland on the way home to check out the new Toy Story ride. Loads of fun!
So it's Monday and you're pretty much caught up on my life. Gramps is still in the skilled nursing facility. He's terribly depressed, certain that he will not rally and this will be it. The rest of us are trying to get back into some sort of routine. I have learned a lot these past few days, but one major thing I've learned: I am too old to have only 1 day of recuperation time between 8 flights. I'm tired, but content. It is good to be home.
Some Things I’ve Loved Wearing
7 months ago
3 comments:
Oh seriously!!! You went to Disneyland after all that? Are you CRAZY woman?
Yowza!
What a whirlwind... I got exhausted just reading your post - whew!
Traveling with one little person is exhausting enough. I think traveling with two little people would take me over the edge. And going to Disneyland on the way home??? You're my hero.
Post a Comment