Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Thanksgiving month


We had been married 4 months when our first Thanksgiving rolled around. Although I had never cooked a full Thanksgiving dinner on my own, I was determined that this, our first holiday as a married couple, would be a special one. Some friends of ours were in the same situation. Thankfully, my friend enjoys cooking as much as I do, so together we tackled the daunting task of roasting a turkey. There were a few more college friends who had no plans, so they joined us in our first Thanksgiving feast.

Since then we've had Thanksgiving at our house nearly every year. There are at least 2 from our original guest list that continue to come every year. It is such a fun tradition! I can't help but feel excited as I think of another Thanksgiving rolling around the calendar corner.

Giving thanks, however, does not have to be reserved for its allotted square on the calendar page. I've seen several facebook status updates that say, "Thanksgiving Day 1". Since I am decidedly too wordy to fit my thoughts into a status update, I decided that this will be bloggy Thanksgiving month. I will post something I'm thankful for each day this month. I'm a day behind (how very "Carrie" of me) already, so I'll post 2 today.

November 1 - I'm thankful for God's provision. I have dozens of stories of how God has provided for our family over the years. I could post one each day and still have more to share. That wasn't the blog goal, so I'll only share the most recent. We've been a little squeezed financially this year. It's no secret that CA budget is in shambles, leaving education out in the cold, but this is not a political rant. Anyhoo, financially squeezed. The jobs available to me did not allow much flexibility and childcare was an issue, and the more flexible jobs had inconsistent hours and childcare was still an issue. This is my last year home with Wyatt and the jobs did not pay enough to cover childcare. We prayed and felt peace with me not working for the time being. Then, do you know what happened? God found me a job! It is only 2 hours per day, I am free to bring Wyatt along with me, and it involves assisting an elderly woman, which is something I thoroughly enjoy! The pay? Exactly the amount we lost to the budget crisis! God is so GOOD!

November 2 - I am thankful for our house. The wind is whipping through our neighborhood today, but we are comfortably sheltered in a lovely home. (This is another story of God's provision.)

What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Blog Archive