There is a huge aspect of our lives that I really haven't blogged about. Grandpa. There is a reason for that. Many of the things that would be blog-worthy are either my frustrations or things that I've found funny. I have hesitated to blog about this because I never want people to mis-read me. Bill's Grandpa Wes moved in with us in January after suffering an Ischemic stroke. He has Vascular Dementia, but is still a pretty high-functioning man compared to many stroke victims. I would never want people to read a post I've written about him and think that I am making light of his situation or mocking him. I wouldn't want frustrations to be read in a negative way. Sometimes he just says or does things that are funny, and sometimes I need a fair measure of God's grace to carry me through the frustrations. Keeping a healthy sense of humor through all of this is what carries us through sometimes. From now on, I will post things that are happening with Grandpa with the hope that you can walk with me in our journey as caregivers. Who knows? Maybe there is someone else out there who will stumble across my blog that is in a similar situation and can be encouraged by it. That being said, here is a recent Grandpa quote.
Grandpa was sitting at the lunch table on Tuesday eating leftovers from Monday dinner. "Mmm. This is tasty! I've never eaten anything like this before! You will definitely have to repeat this lunch." I smile to myself and say, "I'm glad you like it."
10 comments:
Carrie,
It is a good sign that you are working to process this stage in life and are finding a way to share it! I'm so glad--glad for you because you won't be carrying it alone and glad for us because we will get to see your humorous perspective in a trying time!
Love you!
Dude! Come on. I love the guy, but the things he says/does sometimes is hilarious. Don't feel bad for looking at the humourous stuff.
For example, you should tell everyone how, in that picture, Grandpa is about to light the newspaper on fire with his magnifying glass. Classic!
Oh, Carrie! I love you! This post and the picture are so precious.
What an angel you are to take care of Grandpa Wes. How fortunate Grandpa Wes is to have you to help him in his every day tasks. How blessed Bill is to have a wife willing to take on this monumental task. How special for your boys to have their Great Grandpa so entwined in their every day lives. You are a true gem, Carrie. I really look up to you (even though you are so much shorter than me! :) )
Thank you for being willing to share the ups and downs of life with Grandpa.
What a sweet, sweet post, Carrie. Your response to Grandpa is priceless. And Bill's comment just about made me fall on the floor.
I hope you'll share more of life with Grandpa. We have lots to learn from you!
Great post Carrie. Like Lisa, I too am glad that you are willing to process through this stage with your blogging community. I think that it is highly likely for someone to stumble across your blogs and gain some insight or encouragement through you testimony. I would also point out the fact that when Grandpa Wes is no longer with us, your sentiments will add to the artifacts immortalizing his life here on earth.
You are all so encouraging and kind! Thanks for the sweet responses. Especially yours, babe. Brought tears to my eyes. :) I appreciate all of you who commented and look forward to sharing more great Gpa moments with you. In the meantime, I gotta get crackin' on a Kindergarten post!
Uhm I don't think making jokes is bad. When I worked at a childrens home for abused and neglected kids who would cuss at you all day and would have to be restrained so they didn't hurt themselves or others we had to laugh about it or we would cry and I believe it's a healthy way of processing. I think if people heard the things Jared and I would say on the way home from work they would think we were heartless but we loved those kids and I know they knew that. So really don't feel bad girl.
I totally did not know you blogged! Lord Almighty, what has taken me so long? Anyway.
Great post on Grandpa Wes. I'm going to have the spend the rest of the night back reading your blog.
Oh yeah. And I'm so much more shallow than you. But that was probably obvious. :)
I too am thankful you are sharing this journey. We took care of Phil's mom for several months before she passed away, nearly 3 years ago now. It was a very difficult season, and could be very lonely. Your blog community will provide such an outlet ... and I LOVE your sense of humor! It will be a blessing to journey with you!! :)
Post a Comment