Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Roots of My Heart

Sometimes I want to post something other than the happenings in my day-to-day. I couldn't think of anything original, so I'm posting a poem that I wrote and put on Facebook. If you've already read it, sorry. If you haven't, it is a blurry snapshot of what it's like to grow up all around the world.

The Roots of my Heart

There are roots growing from my feet
to the land that I am on

Roots growing from my legs
to the places I have gone

Roots that grow out of my head
to a million memories

Roots spread from my shoulders
to friends over every sea

Roots that stretch out from my eyes
to the many sights I've seen

Roots that grow out of my back
to find what might have been

Roots that reach out from my hands
to hold dreams, hands, and fears

Roots that grow from fingertips
to catch so many tears

But of all the roots embedded
from now back to my start

Africa holds my precious roots
the deep roots of my heart.

4 comments:

Dionne Sincire said...

i love the cadence.... very reflective.

Megan said...

Beautiful.

Rotters said...

excellent Carrie! This describes me perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Lovely lovely.

Thank you.

Love, Oregon Mom