Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Birthday cakes and fun

My Christmas present from Wesley was a cupcake decorating book, so I thought I would put it to use to take cupcakes to his class on his birthday. He wanted the alligator, so here it is. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.
We took him to Chuck E. Cheese as a surprise, but first Bill and I made one quick stop to put an offer on a house. Wes and Wyatt both know all the words to the song for the Chuck E. Cheese commercial, but had never been, so they were SO excited to go for the first time. They were a little freaked out by the robotic mouse on the stage, but can you blame 'em?

Since his birthday fell on a Wednesday, we decided to have a party for friends on Saturday. For this one he wanted a Polar Bear cake. Oddly enough, this is not a common cake to be found online, so I just had to whing it.

The funny thing about this cake is that I got all done and I had put the little sprinkle smiley face on, which was OBVIOUSLY the wrong thing to do judging from the near-to-tears response it elicited from my son. Polar bears are NOT happy bears, so the smiley face was completely incongruous with the theme in his head. Clearly the only remedy was to add angry eyebrows.
And here he is blowing out the candles.

6 comments:

Reynolds Family said...

WOW!!!!!!

sarah said...

Hi. I'm one of Jen's friends and saw your title Birthday cakes. I love making birthday cakes so I thought I'd check it out. Could you tell me the name of that cupcake book. That alligator looks so cute. Nice work on the polar bear too. Thanks!

Carrie said...

Hi, Sarah! Thank you! It is called "Hello, Cupcake!" and I think it is at Target. It is a GREAT book and really pretty easy! Good luck!

Dionne Sincire said...

you are oh so creative! care to share the title of that cupcake making book with your blog readers?

Dionne Sincire said...

see, that's what happens when you don't read the other comments. i see that you've already revealed the book's title. :) i'm off to target. :)

Lisa P said...

Nice work, Carrie! I'd like an alligator, too.