There are so many times that I have been asked, "What was it like growing up in Kenya." The answer is usually something along the lines of "Great", or "I loved it", or some other nondescript answer. In truth, I could never explain to anybody what it was like to live out my childhood in Kenya. In my attempt to organize so pictures lately, however, I came across a lot of pictures that we took on our last visit which was in December 2004. I will share some of these pictures with you in an attempt to give you a glimpse. My next few posts will show different aspects of Kenya.

These pictures were taken at an elephant orphanage on the outskirts of Nairobi in the Nairobi Gamepark. Daphne Sheldrick runs and operates the whole thing. There are many baby elephants, a few warthogs, and even a baby rhino. The elephants have personal caretakers to watch out for their needs in the absence of their mother. These caretakers play "football", innertubes, socialize them with the other elephants, and even hold umbrellas over them to protect them from being sunburned! Sheldrick's was a fascinating place to visit.

2 comments:
I enjoyed this post.... keep it up... I like to learn about different cultures, especially if it means I get to know what a friend of mines life was like :)
I am fascinated by your upbringing in Kenya and I'm sure it was nice for you to go back there to give Bill a glimpse of your experience. I look forward to learning more.
Post a Comment