Saturday, November 24, 2007

Christmas is coming!

For those of you who read my blog and are in MOPS at the Flipside, you will get to read this in the newsletter. I just thought I would publish it on here because it's been on my mind lately. So here are my Christmas ramblings.

I have a confession to make. I am a complete sentimental sap. It’s true. My house is full of things that invoke the fond memories to which they’re tied.

Christmas is my favorite holiday and my sentimental ways are stronger than ever. Take our Christmas tree, for example. I look around the stores and see gorgeous trees with uniform glass balls, coordinating ribbon perfectly wound around the tree, evenly strung lights, and a matching topper and tree skirt to tie it all together. It makes a stunning picture, but it looks nothing like the tree that makes its way into my heart and living room each year. On our tree there are the styrofoam balls with glitter glued on and a pipe cleaner looped on top. Bill made them in kindergarten and they still find their way onto the tree. There are these two little felt ornaments that my best friend made for me when we were six years old. There are colorful lights that usually twinkle, and an odd array of knickknacks and gimcracks. They may not be beautiful to everyone, but as I lift each little figure out of its box, I pull a memory out of the tissue and hang it on the tree.

It has me thinking about what is important this Christmas. Every year I take a vow of simplicity, but somehow “simple” means something different at Christmas time than the other eleven months of the year. I am sure that despite all my good intentions, this year will be no different. I am reminded, however, that family and relationships are at the center of all those memories hanging prettily on the tree. With some of the events that have taken place in the lives of the people around me these past couple months, I am determined to focus on my family this year. To worry less about the perfect gift and more about spending time with those that mean the most to me.

This year as the ornaments come out of the boxes and the fond memories are unleashed into my home, I will recognize that each one is a tiny taste of God’s goodness dropped into the mouth of a slightly unbalanced woman. God’s grace is enough to cover the busyness, to cover the materialism that creeps in, or the slip-up in the best of intentions. We only have to open our eyes and see His goodness and grace in the midst of this season meant to celebrate His son. The crazy pace is not a bad thing as long as your running feet are on the path that leads you daily to the lap of Jesus. Merry Christmas! May you discover baby Jesus in every day of the holiday season and beyond!

2 comments:

Stef said...

well put :)

Brazenlilly said...

I like some hand-made ornaments too, and I even let Trent put a blob of brown dough on the tree, since it said "Trent 1980" on it, but I drew the line when he wanted to put up a paper circle ornament that was from his Japanese exchange student 23 years ago---whose name he couldn't remember. That's not sentiment. That's just trying to annoy me.