Thursday, July 29, 2010

Words

I have a great respect for words. Words are simply certain letters stacked together and then lined up in a row. The rows grow and form and take on a life of sorts. They align and become a powerful entity capable of invoking every emotion. They empower, communicate, express, hope, and provide escape. At times it seems they have a will of their own. Elusive and slippery. Recently, I've had some powerful experiences that warrant recording with a word or two. As much as I've tried, it seems that the words are wedged somewhere in the crevices and dark corners of the Nairobi slums. Trying to capture them and force them to march out onto the page has proven to be entirely futile. A fruitless endeavor that has ended in messy disorganized lines of letters incapable of capturing even the simplest of our daily routines. As I've said before, I have a respect for words, so I'll leave them to their elusiveness for now. But one of these days, I'll catch them unawares, capture them, and line them all up in rows as they should be. In the meantime, rattle around all you like, silly words. I'll conquer you yet.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love love love love the way you line up words. I can't wait to read the novel that is in your head just waiting to be published. :)

Anonymous said...

Very Interesting!
Thank You!