Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pantry Week day #2

Another successful day! I didn't take pictures because, well, I like to eat. Once the food hits the plate, my fork is in it and the camera is an afterthought. Shame, too because the vegetables at dinner looked cookbook worthy! You'll have to take my word for it.
Breakfast: Grown-ups - scrambled eggs w/ salsa & coffee. Kids-cereal & yogurt
Lunch: B-Spinach salad & tuna C-leftover Leftover Soup Wes-pb&j & blueberries Wy-pb&j & granola bar & orange slices.
Dinner: (not-very-jerkish) Jerk Chicken on the George Foreman. Orange roasted carrots & lemon roasted green beans with slivered almonds.

Marinade: Mince 1/2 onion, garlic, scallion in food processor. Add 1/4 c. OJ, 1/4 c. teriyaki, some cider vinegar, cinnamon, chili pepper{which I didn't have-hence the not very jerkish}, 1/4 t. each cinnamon, allspice, thyme. Marinade chicken 2 hrs. then grill).
Carrots: slice, put in ziplock, squeeze 1/2 orange, some olive oil, salt, pepper & shake.
Green Beans: cut off ends, squeeze 1/2 lemon, salt, pepper, garlic powder into ziplock. I did not mix these 2 veggies together. There were not enough green beans to be the only veggie and I have a GRIP of carrots. Anyway 425 til they're as done as you want them. Add the almonds to the green beans in the last minute of roasting or they'll burn. Overall, a smashing success! Wyatt ate all his dinner with NO TIMER! Yay!

4 comments:

Lisa P said...

No timer= enjoyable dinner! Love it.

Lisa P said...

No timer= enjoyable dinner! Love it.

Megan said...

Yum. I need to try new ways to cook veggies besides steamed with a little butter/salt. Nice use of fruit.

Erin said...

You've inspired me! I haven't gone to the grocery store all week, but I managed to make a mac and cheese concoction with some chicken, cauliflower, and peas. It's in the oven, so I don't know if it's good yet, but it was so freeing to cook without a cookbook with stuff on hand. Gotta do that more often!