Monday, January 25, 2010

Pantry Week cuz I'm a Copy Cat

A little over a year ago, Bill and I took a class called Financial Peace University. It has changed our lives. That sounds a little dramatic, but I'm not kidding. Anyway, the main idea is 1) Get out of debt. 2) Live on a cash budget. So we have been living on cash budget and it is wonderful. There has been the occasional time when we needed to use our debit card, but overall, it is great.

Well, last night I made a quick late-night run to the store to buy milk, eggs, and coffee creamer. You know, the essentials. I used the last $9 in the FOOD envelope. There is still a week left in January and the food money is gone.

Then I saw the post that Kristi did about how we are wealthy and being challenged to not go to the grocery store for one whole week. I am certain that there is enough food in this house to eat for a week and beyond. Challenge accepted.

I got done making Wesley's sandwich for his lunch box this morning and noticed that we are almost out of bread. Blast!

Thank you, Lord, for providing us with a full pantry. We are wealthy, indeed.

6 comments:

Nicole Leonard said...

Indeed. :)

Do you read MoneySavingMom.com? I loe her blog and she is just finishing up a MONTH-LONG pantry challenge. Crazy, huh? Wanna know what's even more crazy? Thanks to that weirdo Dave Ramsey, Crystal (the blog's author) and her hubby have saved enough money to pay CASH for a house!

Anywho...just thought I'd share. Way to go on your pantry challenge! I haven't had the guts/gusto/energy/desire to do one yet. But I will one day... :)

Nicole

Lisa P said...

This is fun! Are you going to post your meals? Can't wait to see your creativity.

Also, we do pb crackers sometimes for lunches. Or yogurt with berries. Or ham and cheese with crackers. All in exchange for a sandwich. My kids think I'm just crazy creative. I know that I'm just crazy broke. =)

Carrie said...

Nicole, I'll check out that blog. Crazy to be able to buy a house w/ cash! Awesome!
Lisa: I had all the ingredients to make this loaf of wheat bread, so the sandwich is saved. To complicate matters, neither Bill nor I are eating sugar right now. :) I'll post our meals.

Patience said...

Beautiful looking loaf of bread. And I applaud both your creativity and your discipline. But mostly, I just can't believe that Lisa didn't comment on the cup that is holding your Mickey lollipops. ;)

Lisa P said...

Patience, TRUE! However, the picture didn't load the first time I saw this post, so I was unaware of the glories it held--both the bread AND the tribute to the Colts! Good catch!

Megan said...

I love this idea! I always feel proud when I look at the pantry and then decide what to make for dinner; just using what we have. Usually I think of what I WANT for dinner and go to the store to make it happen. Making your own bread, awesome. I've also done PB&J on tortillas. :)
Keep posting what you make!