Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Classic "A" Butchery

Sometimes when I'm shopping at my local grocery store, the 'thriftygirl' in me comes out. I admit it, I enjoy shopping the Manager's Specials shelf. There. I said it. I'll admit that sometimes buying the Manager's Special meat makes me nervous. Then I laugh at me and think of the butcheries in Kenya. I think it's hilarious that this one is named Classic Butchery because it is a classic example of the many butcheries.

There is a gigantic hunk of nondescript meat hanging in the unrefrigerated window, teeming with hungry flies. When your order is placed, the butcher waves the flies away, hacks off a chunk - fat, ligaments, shattered bone, and all - using a less than pristine machete. He then slaps that bad boy down, wraps it up in newspaper (lead ink poisoning anyone?) and sends you on your merry way. Perspective, people, perspective.

4 comments:

mom2boyz said...

Somewhere I have a picture of the "Internet Butchery"..I will have to hunt that down.

Stef said...

mmmmmmm yummy!!!!

Dave said...

Mmm meat.
There are so many more hazards today then when we grew up, lead, non-organic pesticides, etc. But we turned out healthy.

Dave said...

Says the man with nausea since returned from SE Asia 3 weeks ago.