I know Mother's Day has passed, but I spent some time thinking of a few of the many things you've taught me over the course of my life thus far. Let's don't fool ourselves into thinking that I am done learning from you, but I wanted to jot down these thoughts while they are on my mind. Without setting out to teach me, you have impressed many important lessons by your example.
You taught me that obstacles are no excuse to ignore God's call. You, who are allergic to dust and sun and who HATES bugs, served for 30 years in Africa.
You taught me that it is important to be a gracious and generous hostess even when the guests are less than ideal. There were times people were in our home for a month at a time and you never stopped treating them as though it was their first day.
I watched you labor for hours over the sewing machine to create clothes, bathing suits, curtains, under garments, forts, table cloths, and alter other missionaries' clothes. It showed me that creativity is important and that we should use the gifts God has given us.
When our car was stuck in the mud for the 5th time in one day, we sat on the side of the road eating snacks and singing silly songs. Through that you taught me to make the best of every situation and stay positive.
I watched you follow your husband to another country, support him as he planted churches, stand by his side as he reported to churches in the U.S. I saw you respect him and love him and I learned that respect and support are equally important as love in a successful marriage.
I saw you laugh often with good friends. I saw you love those friends deeply.
As you cleaned and bandaged burns of babies who had fallen in the fire; as you treated the wounds of a woman beaten by her husband; as you comforted a woman on the verge of losing her baby; as you taught cooking classes to women who didn't know how; as you created wedding cakes to make someone's day more special; as you served thousands of cups of tea; I learned service and compassion.
When we went on walks and you took notice of all the different wild flowers, I learned that beauty should not be overlooked.
I learned that doing the right thing is not always easier, but it is always better.
When you used the car battery to power your electric mixer on baking day, I learned to think outside the box.
When you spent all day baking a pineapple upside down cake in a cast iron pot on coals in the ground for Dad's birthday, I learned that celebrations are important.
When you sang with all your heart and voice in church, I learned to praise with my whole heart.
When you sat me on the counter and let me help you bake tiny loaves of bread, or cookies, or cakes, and we would giggle and be silly, you taught me that I was important to you and not in the way. It is one of the reasons I love baking now.
Most importantly of all, as I watched you read your Bible and write in your prayer journal every single morning, I learned that the most important relationship I would ever be in is the one with my Heavenly Father.
For all these things, and a bazillion more, thanks. I love you!
Love,
Carrie
Some Things I’ve Loved Wearing
7 months ago
6 comments:
Dear Carrie,
Thank you for making me bawl like a baby on a Wednesday afternoon. Dear Linda, thanks for teaching Carrie to be who she is. You're both beautiful!
Jen
That was absolutely beautiful and it brought me to tears. It makes me want to be a better mom; I hope one day I'll receive a letter like that from my daughter. :)
I don't always get to read your blog, but I'm so glad I read this one. Like the other girls said, this totally made me cry. What a beautiful tribute to your mother...she sounds amazing!! Very inspiring!!
Well said Carrie Lynn...and so heart-piercing! You speak volumes to the power of the Mother...and your wonderful Mother, in particular. Having had the joy of seeing you Mother your boys...you are raising kind, generous, happy and sweet people that will do wonderful things in the world! Thank you for sharing your Mom...and for being such a darn good one yourself!
Inspiring! A reason to celebrate. What a gift.
wow! what a profound fingerprint your mother left, not just on you but the world.
Post a Comment