I have no pictures to accompany this blog, but methinks you'll not be saddened by that just this once.
Next week, Bill and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary. Thank you! I appreciate that congratulatory thought. We decided that to celebrate, we would go on a Mexican cruise. While I am beyond excited about that part, there was a small nagging imp in the back of my mind mocking the fact that I have no suit in which to swim. Grrr! There are few things in this world I detest more than shopping for this particular garment, although I must say that bra and jeans shopping are a very close second. Humbling, is a word that comes to mind as I think of staring at my pasty, squishy, post-baby body. Really, standing one foot away from a full-length mirror under horrid lights disrobing and squeezing into lycra? Maybe you're beginning to hear me say I abhor this necessary evil. Today was the designated shopping day and I dragged myself out of the house with the warning, "It very well could take all day, Bill. Enjoy some boy time with our kids!"
First stop: Fresh Peaches Custom Swimwear. That's right, 'custom'. This translates to expensive, but I believe I saved myself a big headache in cutting right to the chase. You see, my anatomy has shifted in such a manner as to make shopping for a suit at Target (my favorite 'go-to' store) or pretty much any other establishment that carries your standard suit, a waste of time. Fresh Peaches boasts over 4,000 suits in stock and will alter your suit for free.
I entered the store with all but a visible grimace of pain on my face. "Hi! What can I help you find today." Chirps friendly salesgirl who maybe wears a size 2 on her fat day.
"A bathing suit." I offer helpfully. Not to be discouraged by my curtness, she proceeds to show me several racks of suits that might be to my liking. I gathered several suits and headed for the dressing room. Have no fear, I will spare you the personal details. Mostly because at this particular moment in my adventure, my attitude took a shift. As I gazed critically at myself in the harsh mirror, two things were very clear in my mind.
1) I was out of the house. Grandpa has gotten to a point where he really can't be left alone for more than an hour at a time. This means that A LOT of time has been spent at home lately.
2) I was ALONE! I love my boys, but having the luxury of being indecisive and making many trips back and forth between the sales floor and the fitting room was fantastic! I can only shudder at the thought of having two squirrelly boys with me.
These two facts jumped to the forefront of my mind and caused me to smile at my unclothed less-than-perfect self in the mirror. Don't get me wrong, I tried on many ill-fitting and less-than-flattering suits. The pain was simply lessened by these small blessings.
I walked out with, not one, but TWO new suits and a revived self. And before lunch, no less!
Some Things I’ve Loved Wearing
7 months ago
3 comments:
Congratulations on all accounts--sometimes finding two suits in one day can be ranked up there with being married for 10 years!
I think they should hand out complimentary medals for braving the swimsuit hunt. I'm glad your hunt ended with a triumphant purchase! Congrats! And congrats on being married for 10 years and giving us all something to aspire to!
Wow! Two suits in one day at the first store you went to? You rock, girl! And yes, those times alone out of the house are priceless ... even if you are swimsuit shopping!
Congrats on your anniversary!
Post a Comment