Friday, April 20, 2007

Home

I was recently checking in on my favorite blogs when I came across this picture. My friend, Lisa, posted this for me because it was home to both of us at different times.



When I was a little girl, we moved to Tiamanang'ien, Kenya. (Say that 10 times fast). My dad and some of the local Maasai men built our house from timber from the local forest, river rock from the nearby stream, and even a grass roof! Some of my favorite childhood memories took place here. If I started listing them, this blog entry would become a short novel. We often had to take a break from our homeschool studies to shoot at the baboons in our garden with air rifles. My mom was a pretty good shot. We would play out any number of scenes in one of the small rivers that ran by our house. We walked to church in a different village each Sunday. Most of the very "African" stories I have to tell happened when we lived here. Sadly, the house my dad built was burned in a fire a few years after we moved. Lisa and her family were living there at the time, but they weren't home when it happened. They rebuilt the house out of sod bricks that her husband and some Maasai made. Here's just a little glimpse into my childhood.

4 comments:

The Corbett's said...

Thanks Carrie! That is a great pic

Brazenlilly said...

Your memories were as a child, but when I hear it as an adult, I think of the wonderful sacrifice your parents made to bring their young family to a new place, far from their family, to bring the name of Christ to "every tribe and tongue." It makes me proud of them! And you.

Stef said...

WOW... thanks for sharing your history! I always love to hear your past...

Kristi said...

I wish I could say something profound like my friend Jen, but I just think "cool....I had no idea you lived in Kenya!" As my friend Celeste says...every life experience gives you more crayons in your crayon box....think of all the colors you had before you were even 10. Hope you are well...