Thursday, October 19, 2006

LONG thoughts on Halloween

Halloween is right on the horizon. Every store has its orange and black spooky decorations on display, along with an array of overpriced costumes. I was in a popular chain store elbowing my way to the racks, stepping on the hangers of the outfits tossed by the wayside in search of the perfect costume for my boys. As I was reaching for an adorable furry Elmo costume, a thought occurred to me. Well, a chain of thoughts really. I had never stopped to think how different Halloween is for my boys than it was for me. I was instantly taken back to a small classroom in the hills of southern Kenya. My momentary lapse allowed another woman to quickly snatch the costume out from under my fingers, but that is another story for another time.

I was raised in Kenya, East Africa. My parents moved to Africa in 1976 with a mission organization. My brother and I were both born and raised overseas. We lived in the Loita hills in southern Kenya. Halloween was approaching, and I was anticipating the holiday as much as any five-year-old kid would. From what I understood, we were going to take one whole school day to create our own costumes! I could hardly wait for the exciting day to arrive!

Allow me to take a moment to explain a little bit about where we lived and our circumstances. Our house was a converted shop that was built out of corrugated tin. It was the main building in a small compound of buildings. Our back door led out to the back yard where there was a building that served as storage and the guest room. In the back of our yard was a third building which was our schoolhouse and dad’s office. In the opposite corner was an outhouse. Now that you have a bit of a mental picture, the story will move forward.

Halloween finally arrived and we headed back to the schoolhouse. My mom brought two huge paper sacks with us. I recognized them as the bags our toilet paper came in. There was also construction paper, scissors, glue, tape, and everything you need to create a costume with a little imagination.

“What do you want to be?” Mom asked. All the anticipation culminated to this single moment. My brother wanted to be a robot and I decided on an elephant. We cut, folded, taped, glued, and cut some more. At the end of the day, we had our costumes ready for our big trick-or-treating adventure. After dinner, we got our costumes on. The huge paper sack fit over my body and was covered in construction paper features. My favorite feature was an accordion style trunk that popped out of a hole in the front. My brother’s had buttons, accordion arms, and some pipe cleaner antennae.

My mom gave us our treat bags and sent us out the back door to our first “house”. We started at Dad’s office. “Trick or treat!” We shouted in unison. After he gave us each a handful of candy, he directed us to our next “house” on our route: the guesthouse. We knocked and were duly rewarded by my mom answering the door with handfuls of candy. The next stop was the schoolroom. Off we went with half-full treat bags and hearts full of anticipation. My dad met us again. This time he wanted us to do a trick first, so Bryan and I sang a song to get our next treat. The last stop was our own back door where my mom brought us in for a dessert of homemade Halloween sugar cookies.

As I think back with fondness on these early memories, I can’t help but look at my own two kids. Halloween has fallen victim to the monstrous commercialization spreading throughout the western world. I live in a completely different place and culture now, but there are a few things that are the same. As children, we could have missed the holiday altogether. After all, there were no costume stores nearby, nor were there any neighbors with whom to trick-or-treat. Honestly, we probably would have never known the difference. I am thankful to my parents for choosing to help us exercise our creativity. I hope I can instill in my boys the value of creativity. When they have the choice between doing what is easy and popular or being creative and unique, I hope that they will choose to be unique sometimes. I hope the memories they carry with them into adulthood will be fond, and most of all, creative.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Carrie. It's nice to reflect on the past sometimes.

The Corbett's said...

That is an awesome story Carrie. Thank you for bringing a little perspective to a crazy holiday. I can't wait to see what you make for the boys out of pipe cleaners :) Hahahaha

The Houghton's said...

American's always make a Buck on a during a holiday- simple is not in these days. It's sad. Funny thing is, kids are so much more amused by a toilet paper roll, than the $25 toy they got for Christmas. I found this out when I gave my daughter her 1st present, she was way more into the wrapping paper than the gift!

Stef said...

Wow.... I always love to hear (or read) about your childhood.... it is so different and unique and I love learning about the different lifestyles, cultures that are out there. Of course we all know that different places are "different" but until you really sit with someone and hear their stories do you really get to appriciate it at another level.... Some time when there arent all the distractions I would love to sit with you over coffee or something and ask you a million questions.... I am really good and questions :)

Thanks

Stef said...

last line should say at questions not and :)

Anonymous said...

Carrie:

What year were you born? And, when exactly did you move to the states?

Wis said...

I wouldn't answer the above questions. It sounds like a trick.

Interesting insights, Carrie. I like that your parents went to such lengths to maintain anglo-americanesque traditions in your home.

Though there are positive aspects to it, capitalism gives way to corruption on many levels, uh, I mean, opportunities. Since we (Americans) are mostly unwittingly at its mercy, a perspective/experience like yours surfaces viable alternatives. It seems like little kids would love putting together their own costumes rather than having something already figured out for them. What a concept!

Carrie said...

Anonymous: I'm more likely to give more information about myself if you reveal more about yourself and your reasons for asking.

Wis-I completely agree about the capitalism situation. As you said, there may be advantages, but each advantage is weighted with the multiple drawbacks that are inevitably attached.

Anonymous said...

Carrie:

We are just learning the blog world sorry. I actually was curious because it seems like such an amazing experience. What a story to tell your boys when they get older. I won't comment anymore. I'm sorry I offended you.

Jules

Carrie said...

Jules:
I'm not offended, just cautious. You never know who may have stumbled on the site and is asking for information. I moved to the States when I graduated highschool. I attended college and met my husband in California. I can't wait to take my boys back to Kenya for a visit.

Anonymous said...

Hi honey: Thank you for such a wonderful story. You bring a richness to this family that is unique and very educating. You know I adore you.

Love,
Oregon Mom