Friday, October 13, 2006

Fire Safety

I got a letter from Wesley's school saying that they were inviting a fireman to come to the class to talk about fire safety with the kids. The main objective was to encourage parents to follow up with our kids at home. So when I arrived to pick Wesley up from school at 2:25 on Wednesday, I played the dutiful mother and began asking questions. The conversation went something like this: "Hey Wes, did a fireman come to your school today?" "Yeah! He likes trucks!" "He does? Wow! Did he teach you about how to be safe if there is a fire?" "Yes. When there's a fire on our house we should never touch it. And he will come at our house and he will put a fire in his truck!" "Really? Is there water in his truck so he can put the fire out at our house?" "NO! That's silly, mom!" "Oh. Well what else did you learn?" "That fireman, he live on his truck, but it is SO NOISY. But it's okay cuz it's not scary." "Hmmm." At this point I wasn't even sure where to begin sifting through the misconceptions, so I just asked another question. "What if your clothes catch on fire?" "There might be a dog with fleas, but we should roll." What? What just happened? I wish the fireman could have been there to hear his well-planned, best intentioned speech interpreted by his toddler audience. Let's just pray we don't have a fire at our house.

3 comments:

The Corbett's said...

That is hysterical!!!! You made me laugh so hard :)

Ryan, Jane, Nate and Zach said...

I love it when you blog the funny things Wes says!

Stef said...

Ditto to Janes comment... how funny.... Haley had fire safty week too and we had to draw out evauation plans and test our smoke detectors... then for homework she had to draw a picture... I think fire week scared her to be honest... so to hear how wes experienced fire week cracked me up... :)