Tuesday, August 29, 2006

They grow up so fast!


I don't know how many times I have heard that phrase since having kids, but it really is very true. This morning I was downstairs cleaning up the kitchen and doing some other little chores. Wyatt was happily playing on the floor and Wes decided to go play upstairs in his room. From time to time Wes would shout down the stairs to tell me what he was playing with or what he was doing. After a few minutes I heard a door close and things got quiet. No more little announcements to check in with me. As many of you know, silence in the house with a three-year-old is not a parent's cue to relax and enjoy another cup of coffee. This is especially true when the prelude to silence is a closing door. I headed upstairs to check in and braced myself for the imminent danger and disaster that would surely befall. I could not have been more wrong or surprised! I found Wes sitting in the middle of the floor surrounded by his books and favorite toys.

"Hey, buddy! What are you up to?" I asked, a bit taken aback.
"I'm just playin' wif my toys, Mom. Please can you close my door?"

(GASP!) What?! I've heard of the banishment of parents from their kids' rooms, but I thought I had at least until elementary school before it was my turn! So here I am at the computer while Wesley plays in the privacy of his chamber as toddler king of his domain! I am reminded again to cherish these years while they're young. I know that there will be fun times and new experiences as the boys grow too, but there is just something extra heart-warming about the innocence and fascination that comes with the infant and toddler years.

1 comment:

Stef said...

Adorible! Haley will ask me for privacy right now, but really, that's when she is on the pot!