
I write to process. I write in journals and computers. I write on envelopes, napkins, barf bags, and on the back of airline boarding passes. I haven’t been writing enough lately and the words are all tangled and jumbled, bumping into one another in a desperate attempt to get out. I have to start somewhere, so how about with this thought?
Does all of this technology, social networking, blogging, and so forth only feed into our narcissistic natures? There are so many opportunities that beg me to share my oh-so-brilliant and very important thoughts with the world. Doesn’t it seem a little self-absorbed to assume that every “friend” I have in the whole wide world wants to know what I’m eating for breakfast? My mood is so important that the world must know! Then after I update my status, I can tweet my genius ideas, blog my inner secrets, pinpoint my exact location for all to see, and fill out a survey all about ME! Right after that, I should text a few friends to make sure we’re all up to date on each other’s lives.
I guess this post is going to feel a little unfinished. Mostly because I don’t have an answer, or a point really. Is it a little narcissistic? Yes it is. Is that going to stop me from using these avenues to pour out my thoughts, ideas, and activities? Nope. So maybe I’m a narcissistic girl. Wouldn’t it be nice if I could write all about me on a site set up by myself for the benefit of yours truly (and my mom) and someone else was still uplifted by it? Or is that just another narcissistic thought?
Or maybe I can look at it in a different way. Who am I? Who am I that anything I scribble down should draw your attention? So if you’re reading this, maybe instead of puffing myself up, I can be humbled that little thoughts I share are worthy of your few minutes. Thank you for reading, because really there are a lot of brilliant people out there sharing beautiful thoughts with the world.
Up next. A little more about me and what I’ve been doing the past few months.
No comments:
Post a Comment