Wednesday, September 22, 2010

When My Kids Think I'm Brilliant

Sometimes our pantry is lacking particular items. (This may or may not be related to somebody's poor planning skills.) This tends to happen at the end of the month when the "Food" envelope is particularly thin. Occasionally (VERY occasionally) I've been known to make a home-made version of whatever's missing. Bread, apple sauce, maple syrup; the types of food that only call for staple ingredients.

Today Wyatt asked me for a peanut butter and honey sandwich.

Problem #1: We are out of honey. He quickly conceded that Blue Agave syrup would be a fine replacement for honey.

Problem #2: We are out of peanut butter.

"That's OK, Mama. You can just make some more," he said confidently.

"I don't know how," I replied.

"Well, we have peanuts. We have butter. You can do it!"

There will be a day in the not-so-distant future when he will think I'm a bumbling fool who could not possibly have a logical thought in my head. I will treasure these days when he thinks I can do anything. And I will serve him bologna and saltines with fruit for lunch.

2 comments:

Aaron, Allison, Kaitlyn, Mackenzie and Owen said...

I Love it! That happens here too. usually it's the bread that runs out first.

Linda Brock said...

I love your blog. This is what it's for. ME!!