


Okay, it's taken me a few days to get it all together to write about Wesley's first day of school. That's right, on Wednesday the 6th Wes went to school for the first time. I know, it's "just preschool" - not even official preschool at that. Whatever. He was up early, dressed in his new clothes, walking a little funny in his new shoes that are a bit too big so he can grow into them. I had planned on being one of those moms. You know, the camera-wielding, Kleenex-sporting, last-mom-kicked-out-of-the-classroom kind. Of course we discovered at the last minute that our digital camera wasn't working. Have no fear! In the absence of the 21st century digital, the trusty old 35mm stepped up to the plate. One quick stop at Target for some film, and we were off! Bill managed to get away from his classroom long enough to meet us there to walk Wes into his class. When we got to school, Wes marched right in with all the confidence in the world! He looked so big walking into his class, carrying his "Cars" lunchbox, and putting everything into his cubby. He was beyond excited and couldn't understand why some of the kids were crying. In his words, "School is a happy place, OK?" His encouraging words were lost in the screams of those he was trying to help, but he just moved on to the playdough table undaunted.
For all of you who exist in a literal world with no exaggeration, yes I did actually make Wes pose for pictures, lunchbox in hand, outside his school. No, I didn't actually cry. I'm saving those tears for Kindergarten when there will be no holds barred. And no, I wasn't even the last mom to leave the classroom. When Wes saw me still standing there he said, "BYE, Mom!" I'll post pictures as soon as I find 30 more things that are film-worthy and have it developed. Ah, the good old days.
1 comment:
I love it! What a cutie...and so mature, apparently! And I'm proud of you for a)finding the 35 mm b)not going into snotty-cry in front of the kids and c)your first step of "letting go" of your baby!
Post a Comment