Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October 17th was a Big Day

As predicted, things have taken a turn for the slow on here since I've started blogging over at Roots of My Heart. But there are still things happening here in my everyday life. Some more blogworthy than others.

We've been reading a book Did You Know Devotions whenever we sit down and eat dinner at our table (not every night. Baby steps, people.) It's a book that asks kind of bizarre non-Christiany questions and then answers them and uses a related scripture. It holds the boys' attention and sparks some good conversation (some more Biblically relevant than other). Last night we had a riveting, theological discussion on our cookie flavor preference.

On Monday night, the devotion concluded with this paragraph: To live as God's child, you can use your eyes to see the wonderful world he has created. You can use your ears to hear the truth in the Bible. But you also need to use your heart. Let God have room to live inside your heart, and you will be sure to find him there.

Which naturally led to the question, "Do you have God living in your heart?" After a little bit of discussion Wes stopped talking. He was just staring at the table and not saying anything. We asked him several times if he was OK. Suddenly he snapped back to the present and said, "There. We're good. I was just asking God to live in my heart. I said, 'Jesus, will you live in my heart? I believe.'"

Then Wyatt chimed in and said the exact same words out loud! Happy day!

We talked about why this is the most important decision in their whole life. This decision becomes the filter through which every other decision is viewed and, subsequently, every choice that is made. Not that every decision they make will be a good one, but that by deciding to accept His grace, poor decisions are forgiven.

My heart is full. I know that there are years of discipleship ahead and milestones and roadblocks and faith-shattering experiences. But this first step is a very big step and right now I am just rejoicing in these boys surrendering their hearts with child-like faith.

No comments: