Monday, November 09, 2009

The Little Things

Each day the boys say something sweet and precious. I tuck it away in a little pocket of my heart vowing I will never forget these innocent times, but all too often I do forget. I'll write them here to remind me lest these thoughts and conversations should get tangled and lost in the lint of that heart-pocket.

Santa is a hot-button topic among parents. We opted to let our children believe in Santa. There is something innocent and wonderful about believing there is a big jolly grandfather-type guy whose entire life is devoted to the happiness of children through the delivery of gifts. We would not flat out lie if they asked if he was real, but Santa did leave gifts and all that on Christmas morning. Kindly keep your judgment to yourself on this one. Thanks.

Having said that, Wesley has been asking a lot of questions lately. He is nearly 7, many of his friends know, and we wanted to be sure he found out about the jolly old elf from us and not some sassy kid taunting him on the playground. After he and I went on a very fun Mommy-son date where I promised to let him in on a little Christmas tradition, we went to the car. He sat in the front seat waiting expectantly. I told him. He was quiet for a bit. Since he is very sensitive, I wanted to be sure he was ok.

Me: Are you ok? Are you disappointed?
Him: I'm ok. I like you and Daddy way better than Santa anyway.
Hey! Wait a minute! Who eats all those cookies then? Can you wake me up and give me one this year?

With Wyatt, this is a conversation we have pretty much every single day.

Him: What is today?
Me: Monday (or whatever day of the week it happens to be)
Him: Is today tomorrow?
Me: Yesterday it was. ;)
Him: Oh. What's tomorrow?
Me: Tuesday (or whatever day it will be).
Him: Uh...Ok. Can we do sumfeen fun?

2 comments:

Alli said...

They are both so sweet!

We have the same Christmas traditions and I started crying as I read your conversation with Wes. I am so glad he heard it from you and not someone else, but those milestones are SO hard!

Love you, girl!

Lisa P said...

I just love your perspective. And I love those dear boys. Hopefully, you get to do sumfeen fun today!