Time, it has this funny way of moving on. We have been busy moving from place to place. It seems that everyday something new and interesting happens that is blogworthy, but I run out of time to record it. Of course, I always vow to catch up the following day, but obviously I don't get to it. Well yesterday I sat down determined to write something about this fun family vacation we're on and I drew a complete blank! The only conclusion I can draw from that is I must have been overwhelmed by the amount of material I have to cover that I had no idea where to start. So, in a list form, this is what we've been up to. There will be no pictures with this post because that adds another layer of overwhelmedness. Almost all our pictures are on my facebook, so check 'em out. If there are too many words here, skip to the bottom for a synopsis.
*We made it to Steamboat Springs, CO. What a beautiful town! We walked around the old town, ate some ridiculously delicious BBQ, took a ski lift up the hill and an alpine slide down, and went to my first rodeo.
*Drove through the Rockies into Kansas. Talk about landscape shock. Shawnee, KS was our stopping point to spend the night with friends. More amazing BBQ in Kansas City and I think it tasted better because we were with good friends. It's a theory I'm testing...the food tasting better in good company bit.
*DesMoines, IA. We arrived in time to drop our suitcases at the hotel, take a quick swim and nap, then take in a minor league Cubs baseball game. Wes managed to get 3 free tickets!
*Morris, IL feels like coming home somehow. It is a charming small town with a lot of rich history. We stayed with our friends in their late 1800s Victorian. I felt like if I listened hard enough, I could hear the footsteps of former residents. Such beautiful, rich history. It rained on the 4th of July, so we played indoors doing puzzles and drinking coffee. The evening took us to a fun party with their friends who welcomed us as though we were part of their group. Great people, fireworks, and more good food.
*Indianapolis, IN. We arrived at my parents house on Monday the 6th. Vandegrifts drove out from Georgia to visit which was beyond fantastic. It warmed me to the core and filled up all those little empty cracks that happen over time. We all went to the Indianapolis Zoo in the rain. I knew it should dampen my spirits, but somehow the rain reminded me of the warm rain in Africa and it made me want to dance in it instead. I didn't, don't worry.
*My parents were in China when we first got here. They're back now and are in full Grandma and Grandpa mode. It's fabulous.
I promised a synopsis, so here it is. We are having a fabulous time. This will bring lots of fond memories in our future. We miss our friends, but this has been great for our souls.
The End for now.
Some Things I’ve Loved Wearing
7 months ago
2 comments:
So happy to hear you are all having a wonderful time!! Look forward to seeing you all when you return sometime before school starts! :-)
Thanks for the FB tip--I'm going to go see them!
Post a Comment